Dandruff is considered as scalp disorder and it’s pretty common. Along with unappealing white flakes on the shoulders it causes itchiness as well. Although dandruff isn’t a life-threatening condition, it doesn’t harm or even gives us aches etc. it does affect the person’s self-esteem and confidence. For example, person who has dandruff will rarely relax when in a bigger group of people. Luckily, dandruff can be reduced and eliminated, and in this article you will find out how.
Causes of dandruff
Before we start with solutions let’s find out what are the reasons we get dandruff. These reasons include:
- Dry skin – the most common cause of dandruff. Flakes that occur due to dry skin are smaller and less oil than flakes that occur due to some other cause of dandruff.
- Irritated and oily skin – characterized by red and greasy skin that is covered by flaky white and yellow scales.
- Not washing hair enough – this leads to buildup of hair, oils and skin cells on your scalp causing dandruff.
- Skin conditions – for example, eczema, psoriasis etc. can also cause dandruff.
- Washing hair with too hot water – hot water dries out the skin which leads to dandruff.
- Malassezia – that is a yeast-like fungus that lives on scalp of most adults but causes irritations in some people.
- Sensitivity to hair products.
In order to treat dandruff you can buy shampoos designed for it, consult your dermatologist who will recommend some treatment, and you can also try to reduce it in the natural manner with home remedies that are listed below.
- Indian lilac
Indian lilac (neem) possesses antifungal and antibacterial properties. Along with dandruff, Indian lilac treats other hair problems including scalp acne, itchy scalp etc. all you have to do is to boil a handful of neem leaves in 4 cups of water. Then, let the solution cool off and rinse your hair with it two or three times a week.
- Coconut oil
Coconut oil has antifungal properties and moisturizes dry scalp which prevents dandruff from appearing again, and also relieves itchiness. The process is easy:
- Combine coconut oil and juice from half a lemon
- Rub it in your scalp and continue to massage it for a few minutes
- Wait for 20 minutes and wash your hair.
Repeat this process two or three times a week.
- Olive oil
You can treat scalp dryness and prevent dandruff from appearing with olive oil. Also, if you already have dandruff then olive oil will make sure your scalp is moisturized while it treats dryness of your scalp the dandruff will go away too. Here is how to do it:
- Heat olive oil until it’s slightly warm
- Massage it on your scalp and wrap your hair with a towel
- Leave it on for 45 minutes (or overnight)
- Shampoo and condition your hair.
Make sure you repeat this process a few times a week.
- Baking soda
Baking soda is a mild exfoliant and is effective in treating dandruff due to ability to remove dead skin cells from your scalp and absorb the excess oil. Moreover, baking soda restores the pH balance in your scalp while reducing the growth of fungi which are known for causing dandruff too. All you have to do is to:
- Wet your hair and gently rub a handful of baking soda on the scalp
- Wait for a few minutes and rinse your hair thoroughly with warm water.
As baking soda can be considered as exfoliant, repeat this process once or twice a week. Even when dandruff goes away try to do this at least once a week or a month to make sure the pH balance on your scalp is restored.
TIP: don’t shampoo and condition your hair after this treatment.
- Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar restores pH balance on your scalp and is effective in reducing and eliminating dandruff. Here is what you have to do:
- Combine 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons of water and 15 – 20 drops of tea tree oil
- Massage it on your scalp and rinse after a few minutes.
Follow the process two or three times a week.
What is Dandruff and How to Get Rid of it Naturally?
Just because dandruff is harmless it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be treated. Treating dandruff improves your self-esteem and confidence and eliminates the uncomfortable feeling when spending time with a larger group of people. The best way to reduce and completely get rid of dandruff is with home remedies and you probably have most of these ingredients in your kitchen already.
Annie Lizstan works as a health and beauty consultant for online websites and an independent researcher by profession. She had completed her studies from university of Arizona and live in Wasilla, Alaska. She always like to explore her ideas about health, fitness, beauty and Lifestyle news. She has experience researching as a passion as well as profession. You can also connect with her on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
Khalid Irfan is a Fitness expert who enjoys spending time in gym. He also enjoys being in the outdoors and exploring new opportunities whenever they arise as well as researching new topics to expand his horizons.