Beauty movements are in full swing, with women of all ages getting on the bandwagon. From the organic skincare routine to the Korean skincare products routine (more commonly known as the glass-skin routine), women are ready to try it all.
However, the ever-growing world of beauty is complicated. There is always a dilemma that arises whenever you are picking up a new skincare product off the rack: should I or should I not? This decision is not as simple as it looks because everyone has a different skin type and each product works differently on every type of skin. A product that produces great results for one person may not be effective at all for another.
In efforts to help you with the “Should I or Should I not?” dilemma, we have compiled a list of pros and cons of some of the most common skin care products.
- Double Cleansing Products
According to some beauty experts, the first step to getting that miracle skin is double cleansing your face. First, you need to apply an oil-based cleanser, massage it onto your face for a minute and then wash off with lukewarm water. Next, you need to use a gentle cleanser. This can be a foaming cleanser if you have oily skin or a cleansing lotion in case of dry skin. This second round of cleansing will remove any residual oil and thoroughly clean your pores.
- Double cleansing is easy and gentle. If you stick to it for a couple of weeks, it will give you a no-makeup, glowing look.
- Proper cleansing of the skin is essential so that the products that you apply afterward can work effectively. Double cleansing ensures this.
- You may over wash your skin and strip off its natural oils which can lead to dryness.
Moisturising and cleansing are one of the first and major steps of any skincare routine. Everyone talks about the importance of moisturizers but are they really that important?
- They help create healthy-looking skin by helping it hold moisture in. Moisturizers don’t add moisture to the skin – they help lock it in to prevent dryness.
- Moisturizers help with skin protection.
- They help with uneven pigmentation and inflammation of the skin.
- Over-moisturising can lead to clogged pores and your skin won’t be able to breathe.
- While moisturizers work great on dry skin, they can sometimes make oily skin worse. Applying too much can result in excessive oil on the skin, which can clog pores and result in breakouts and inflammation. Light lotions work better on oily skin than heavy creams.
Do we really need skin toners? We have always been taught that the three skincare basics are: cleanse, tone, and moisturize. A toner is a liquid that is meant to remove the leftovers of makeup, dirt or excessive oil from the face.
- It minimizes the appearance of pores while balancing the PH level of the skin. The acids in the toner restore the moisture balance of the skin.
- It provides extra cleansing. There are times when stubborn dirt, dust or makeup may get left behind on the skin even after washing it.
- Prevents infection and breakouts. They are water-based liquids mostly known for their soothing and anti-inflammatory properties.
- As toners contain alcoholic content, one has to be very careful while choosing them. Be very vigilant about the alcohol content of the toner that you are using. It could damage your skin, resulting in dryness and irritation.
- Chemical Peels
Chemical peels are best used for the treatment of facial blemishes. They are a permanent solution for people who are unhappy with the condition of their skin.
- Brighten the skin. Even one light peel can reduce the appearance of dark spots or freckles. Your skin will feel clearer and smoother after using the peel for a few days.
- They are not too harsh on the skin for most people. You may experience a day or two of redness but they are generally known to be mild.
- Skin burn: A deep skin peel can result in the appearance of crusts on the skin surface, with the possibility of burning your skin.
- Once you’ve used the peel, you have to protect your skin as much as you can from the UV rays that come directly from the sun. If you fail to do so, it will add to the formation of sunspots on your skin.
- Eye creams
Eye creams happen to be one of our skincare favorites. And why shouldn’t they be? These magical solutions help manage all of our eye care problems like dark circles, puffiness, and wrinkles.
- They have age-defying benefits due to the ingredients that are used in them, especially vitamin A.
- They help protect your skin from UV rays and other harsh substances in the environment as the skin around your under-eye area is very thin.
- They lift and lighten the area around your eyes.
- Keep in mind that the skin surrounding your eyes is very delicate and covers a very small area. Using too much eye cream can damage it.
- Eye creams tend to be expensive due to their popularity but this doesn’t mean all of them are effective in producing results.
- Sheet Masks
Sheet masks are face-shaped masks that are soaked in serum. They are made of fiber, cotton or gelatine.
- Sheet masks give instant results that last for 24 hours straight.
- Sheet masks are packed individually, making them super convenient to use and carry.
- They are very relaxing and hydrate your skin to the fullest.
- Single time use – they cannot be reused or recycled.
- Their effect only lasts for 24 hours. Sheet masks are not a long term solution to your regular skin problems.
Sunscreens are actually made to protect your skin from direct sunlight, and this is why they are considered a vital part of any skincare routine.
- The most effective way to keep skin healthy and prevent it from skin cancer is by using a good sunscreen.
- It reduces wrinkles, sunspots and also helps protect your skin from premature aging.
- Sunscreen can be greasy and messy.
- Due to its heavy creamy texture, it can clog your pores, which makes it difficult for the skin to breathe.
- After applying sunscreen, you have to wait for it to settle down before you can apply any further products.
Every product that we use has its pros and cons. In order to check if your skin is benefiting from the use of a particular product, use it for some time to see how your skin changes in response. It can take weeks for some products to produce results or sometimes even longer. So, the best advice is to buy skincare products according to your skin type and give them a try before making your final judgment. A bit of trial and error will surely help you find the best products for your skin. Good luck!