Is that a wrinkle? Why do our faces break out right before an important meeting or event? Is smooth, flawless skin too much to ask for?
Your face is your window to the world, and it often takes the brunt of environmental factors due to sun, heat, cold, or dry climates. The skin on your face is different than the skin on the rest of your body.It needs its own routine to keep it clean, clear, and on the road to flawless.
Great skin isn’t an overnight miracle. Consistency is key. Learn more about the best practices to care for the skin on your face so you can avoid blemishes and early signs of aging.
Why Is Skincare So Important?
Taking care of your skin now is essential for graceful aging. As babies, we have smooth, wrinkle-free skin full of moisture and elasticity. As we age, harsh environmental factors wear down our skin causing it to be dryer and tougher. This leads to wrinkles and eventually sagging skin.
What can we do to combat the natural effects of aging? Great skincare! But first, let’s dive deeper and understand how our skin operates.
Our skin has three layers:
- Subcutaneous Tissue – the innermost layer with tissue containing fat cells that insulate the body.
- Dermis – the middle layer containing connective tissue.
- Epidermis – the outer layer designed to protect the inner skin from environmental damage.
Cells in the epidermis travel to the top and flake off. The epidermis becomes thinner over time and the skin loses elasticity as less collagen is produced. This eventually causes wrinkles and sagging skin.
Exposure to UV rays from the sun causes the epidermis to thin out and break down collagen even faster. In addition, your sweat glands decrease over time causing the skin to become dryer.
With all these factors working against us, you can see why great skin care is so important!
Daily Maintenance: Morning Skincare
Each morning, take these steps to care for your skin.
Step 1: Cleanse your face
Wash your face with lukewarm water and a purifying gel wash or creamy cleanser. Use gentle circular motions and smooth the cleanser upward from your neck. Avoid rubbing, pulling, or applying pressure. This can damage your skin and cause it to stretch out.
Step 2: Apply toner
Toner helps remove leftover makeup and restore the natural pH level of your skin. It leaves your skin clean, clear, and ready to be hydrated.
Step 3: Apply a moisturizer, sunscreen, and anti-aging treatments
Why so many? Because some of these treatments may come in one product or two. Many moisturizers contain SPF sunscreen protection which is one of the most important ways to protect your skin from UV ray damage.
Give your skin the hydration it craves by applying rich moisturizers year round. Apply all over your face and neck to hydrate your skin and protect it from environmental damage.
Step 4: Apply makeup (if you choose)
Now that you’ve cleansed and protected your skin, apply your makeup.Avoidthick or oily foundations whichcan clog your pores. Choose a foundation that matches your skin tone so it looks natural.
Daily Maintenance: Nighttime Skincare
Your evening skincare routine starts similarly to your morning routine.
Step 1: Cleanse your skin (remove makeup)
Wash your face each night before you go to bed to remove all makeup. Use a natural makeup remover to remove leftover eye makeup.
Step 2: Exfoliate or apply a soothing face mask
Exfoliation removes dead skin cells which can cause the face to appear dull. The build-up of dead skin cells can block the pores and lead to acne. Exfoliating at night helps brighten the skin and give it a healthy glow.
Don’t forget, be gentle. Exfoliation can be done 2-3 times a week depending on the exfoliant. Alternate with a gentle face mask for soothing relief.
Step 3: Apply a thick moisturizer (or night cream) on the face and neck
Night creams are thick products rich in moisture. Apply a night cream to your face and neck to allow your skin to replenish itself while you sleep.
Step 4: Gently tap on eye cream
Eye creams hydrate the delicate skin of the eyes and ward off wrinkles. Apply by tapping gently around your eyes after moisturizing your face.
Step 5: Get lots of sleep!
Rest for your body helps skincare products do their work. Keep your skin healthy and glowing by getting adequate sleep each night.
How to Keep Your Skin Young and Healthy EveryDay
Are there other ways to protect your skin? Yes. Keep these tips in mind.
- Don’t Smoke – Smoking dries out your skin and leads to premature aging.
- Wear Sunscreen – We can’t stress this enough. Protect your skin from sun damageyear round! Use at least 15 SPF to guard against UVA and UVB rays.
- Eat Healthy – Enjoy lots of fresh greens, fruit, protein, and vitamin-rich foods. Vitamin C and a diet low in unhealthy fats and sugar promote radiant skin.
- Be Gentle– Treat your skin with care and avoid rubbing it dry. Instead, blot your facial skin like it’s a fine piece of silk.
- Stay Hydrated – Part of moisturizing is staying hydrated yourself. Drink lots of water (8 glasses or more) and eat lots of fruits and veggies with high water content such as cucumber, watermelon, strawberries, cantaloupe, orange, and grapefruit.
- Get Your Beauty Sleep – Aim for 8 hours of sleep per night to rest your body and your skin. When you’re tired, your skin shows it with sags and bags. Get your beauty sleep for your overall health.
- Manage Stress – Does your face break out when you’re stressed? Take time for yourself when you feel stressed and practice yoga, breathing exercises, and meditation.
Treatments to Improve Your Skin
No matter how hard we work to take care of our skin, aging will inevitably happen. Luckily there are facial treatments, such as those offered by Coastal Vein Aesthetic Institute, to the rescue.
Professional exfoliation treatments keep your skin healthy and radiant. Chemical peels can treat wrinkles and sun damage, certain types of acne, reduce lines around the eyes and mouth, and leave your skin looking and feeling silky smooth.
This non-surgical treatment temporarily smooths lines on the forehead, brows, outer areas of the eyes (aka crows feet), and the lips. Results last 3-4 months and is a trusted and safe treatment for sun damage and aging.
This procedure is non-invasive and virtually pain-free. Fillers reduce wrinkles and make your skin appear smoother, younger, and revitalized without the cost or downtime of surgery.
When should you start taking great care of your skin? Today! Put these tips into practice to see noticeable improvements in your skin over time and to keep it smooth and vibrant.