If you are wondering how to begin with a great body-building regime, you must consider what the pioneers in the field have done. Whether you are thinking about Jay Cutler or Arnold Schwarzenegger, none of these body-building experts was born with the great physique they flaunt today. You need a lot of tenacity and determination to achieve one. There isn’t a single fitness enthusiast who has not committed serious mistakes during his/her journey to get a good body. In case you want to get started with your fitness routine and prefer to play safe, here is a list of workout techniques that you should follow:
• Understand and practice the forms first – When beginning with a new exercise, you may find it difficult to understand the proper way of doing it. First of all, understand the correct posture from your trainer and then keep practicing the pattern until you master it. Make sure you have clearly understood the basic movements before using more challenging weights.
• Work on the major muscle groups – As a beginner, you should focus on working all the major muscle groups, including shoulders, back, chest, glutes, quads, biceps, hamstrings and triceps. This will allow you to build a symmetrical physique. This way, you will also be able to prevent muscular imbalances which might occur if you focus on one single body part and neglect the others.
• Prefer doing multi-joint exercises, instead of single-joint moves – While doing a multi-joint exercise, two or more sets of joints are worked upon together. In a single-joint move, only one joint is being worked upon. For instance, while you are doing a bench press, both your elbow and shoulder joints are worked upon. On the other hand, while you are doing a barbell curl, the movement is restricted just to your elbow joint. This is why it is advisable to do more multi-joint exercises during the initial phase of body-building.
• Make sure the weight is neither too heavy, nor too light – Consider doing the warm-ups with light weights in order to get the target muscles working in co-ordination. As a beginner, it’s advisable to choose light weights so that you are able to do 15 reps on each set. Although you might find it very difficult to achieve the last few reps, you should push yourself to the extreme. Once you are comfortable with the light weights, you should make your workouts more challenging.
• Perform multiple sets of a single exercise – Multiple studies have shown over the years that resistance training helps you gain the best possible results when it comes to muscle gain. It is usually advisable to do 3 to 4 sets of each exercise in order to derive the maximum possible benefit. Usually, you should do one or two sets of warm up before you begin with the more challenging weights.
• Do take rest between the sets – While exercising at a stretch, muscle fatigue sets in. This is why you should include short rest periods between two sets of workouts. Your muscles need some time to clear out the changes in pH and lactic acid levels that build up in the surrounding tissues during exercising. The ideal time for rest is 90 to 120 seconds. However, larger body parts like back and leg might take longer time, and smaller muscle groups like calves and arms could do well with less.
• Control the rep well – It is important to learn how to control the rep. You should inhale and hold your breath while lifting the weight in a forceful manner. You should exhale only over the top portion of the movement. While breathing in, lower the weight gradually. Never bounce the weight at the bottom. Rather, reverse direction effortlessly from the bottom position.
• Strive to do a little more during each workout – After a certain point of time, your body gets accustomed to the same workout schedule, and your muscles stop growing further. The best trick to avoid this is to do more number of reps with a certain weight. As an alternative, you can also increase the weight from one workout to the next. You must follow this progressive stimulus in order to make positive improvements in your physique.
• Get at least 48 hours of rest between the workouts – This is one of the most important tricks that you should follow. The lifting you do at the gym is the stimulus that begins a chain of events. After a workout session, the muscles need to repair themselves with enough rest, nutrients and time to get stronger before you hit the gym the next time. If you don’t take plenty of rest, ignore following a healthy and balanced diet or train too often, it may prevent you from achieving the desired results. Make sure you hit a specific muscle group only once in forty eight hours. The more advanced exercise regime you follow, the longer should be the rest period.
When you set a workout schedule with these points in mind, you are sure to experience good results despite being a beginner.