Choosing to undergo cosmetic surgery can be a profoundly life changing experience. A good and reputable surgeon makes sure that it is a change for the better.
This is why it is very important to take the time to choose your surgeon carefully. Get to know your surgeon’s background and skills before you book your procedure.
There are some important questions to ask early on:
- Are you a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada?
Certification from here ensures a high degree of training and qualifications. Make sure that a surgeon who claims to be “board certified” backs up their claim with specifics.
- Where did you complete your plastic surgery residency training?
This is another important part of checking up on credentials. If you are uncertain, you can check with the institution where they trained.
- Do you have hospital admitting privileges? If so, which hospital?
It is a good idea to make sure that your surgeon has access to hospital facilities in case of any complications. This ensures that they can stay with you, instead of transferring you to a different doctor that does not know the details of your case. You can also check with the hospital to confirm their answer.
- Are there any risks or common complications associated with this surgery?
A good surgeon is an honest surgeon. They should be upfront with you about any potential risks. Be cautious of a surgeon who makes wild promises of no-risk surgery.
- Is this surgery right for me?
Your surgeon should not try to sell you on surgeries that you don’t need or won’t work for you. Talk to your surgeon to make sure that you are a good candidate for the procedure you are interested in.
- How many times have you performed this surgery, and what is your training for it?
Make sure that your surgeon is actually experienced with this cosmetic surgery procedure, and not trying to sell you services outside of their area of expertise.
- What are the anaesthesiologist’s certifications?
Just like your surgeon, your anaesthesiologist needs to be properly certified.
- What is the usual recovery time for this procedure?
These kinds of questions are important for two reasons. First of all, it is important for you to understand the details of your surgery and recovery to plan your calendar and adjust your life as necessary. Secondly, you can spot dishonest surgeons if they attempt to guarantee fantastically short recovery periods.
- May I read over the patient consent form ahead of time?
Know and understand the terms of your agreement before you sign.
- What are my options if there are complications or if I am not satisfied with the results?
Learn about the options ahead of time, so that there are no surprises later on. Be sure to take note of potential costs involved.